Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Set of Six

I'm not good at making a series of matching pieces mostly because I don't do it often enough to develop that skill. So when I wanted a set of six bowls I figured I had better make some extras "just in case" and I'm glad I did. I threw nine bowls and printed the design on each while they were still moist. But I lost one bowl while trimming the extra clay from the bottom. (You can see it at the bottom of the photo.)

They were all bisque fired without incident but while spraying the glaze I knocked a bowl on its side which cracked the side. So there were seven bowls left to fire in the gas kiln. But upon unloading another bowl had a mysterious crack - perhaps from mishandling on my part?- and had to be thrown in the trash.

So nine minus three is six. The second picture shows the survivors.

1 comment: