Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ovals

For the first time since November, I have gotten around to firing my gas kiln. With the winter holidays, company and entertaining, pottery making took a backseat to the pleasures of the season.


But now it is back to the pleasures of clay. I have been having fun making pots that have been altered into ovals. I throw the sides without a bottom and then once the clay is somewhat firm, it is manipulated into another shape. Add a slab of clay for the bottom, some lugs for handles and, voila!, a casserole.


Here is some recent work in different stages. The dish with the leaf stamp is waiting to be glaze fired, the large casserole with lid is drying and the other photos are of finished pieces.








3 comments:

  1. The finished pieces are gorgeous! I love the colors and the textures. Do you use any other (brighter) colors? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, do you not use te same clay when you fire is the other kiln? Do they require different materials?
    The casserole dishes are great. Reminds me how I requested one with a lid for my wedding gift......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meegan, I did get carried away with black for the inside glaze during this firing. But I'm limited in the glazes that I can use inside a piece that will be used with food. Some of the brighter colors fade when fired to cone 10.

    Malia, perhaps you will receive a casserole by and by......

    ReplyDelete