Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Starting to Glaze


It is time to start glazing the ware from the last two bisque firings but so far I have made limited progress.  I don't yet have a spray booth set up in the studio so I must wait for dry and warmer weather when I can use the compressor and spray gun outside.



This is what I have accomplished so far. 
The pieces, mostly jars, have been wiped with a damp sponge to remove the clay dust and then the glaze poured inside, swished around for an even coating and then poured back into the bucket.  



This glaze is the celadon that I often use inside bowls and jars because it is food safe and a lovely celery green color.  The chemistry of glazing is interesting - this pink colored unfired glaze will become green after a reduction firing.

2 comments:

  1. That's great post. Would love to see picture of your work loaded in the kiln before and after the firing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to be able to be a "fly" on the wall of your basement studio. Thanks for showing some of your creations here. I'm glad to find your blog.

    ReplyDelete